I'm guessing many of you set goals or made New Year's Resolutions. Most of us do! Life doesn't come with guarantees, and goal setting is no exception. But (good news!) there are some things you can do to put yourself in a position to be successful!
Things to remember:
- BE POSITIVE! “I will prepare healthy meals at home” is a much better goal than “Iʼm not going to eat out every night.” Be positive and be specific.
- Describe your goals in terms that can be measured. “I want to lose weight” is too vague a goal. “I want to decrease my body fat by 5%” or "I want to lose 10 pounds" is much better.
- Set performance-based goals, not outcome-based goals. "I want to set a personal record during my next fun run” instead of “I want to finish in the top 25% of my age group during the next fun run.” It is important to set goals over which you have the most control possible.
- Set a deadline. Putting a realistic end date on your goal gives you a clear target and creates a sense of urgency. Hint: signing up for a fun-run or powerlifting competition helps to create a more urgent deadline.
- Reward yourself. Plan how you will celebrate each success... and follow through!